Saturday, November 04, 2017

Kitchen Dishtowel Curtains...


When we decided to renovate our kitchen, I knew it would be a gut job. Everything went. Although we contracted out all the heavy work, I knew the decorating tasks would be left up to me. {Yay!} There's nothing I love more. I started looking on Pinterest for some curtain options for our corner kitchen windows and the windows in our nook (right next to the kitchen). One of the options I found on Pinterest was this dishtowel curtain idea from "Refresh Restyle."


I fell in love. So simple to make and I love the looser weave on cotton dishtowels that still give privacy, but allow light to filter through. I especially loved the little tassels on the ends of the towels.  So, I started looking for some creamy towels with a touch of gray and I found these at Cost Plus World Market...


Love at first sight. This inexpensive dishtowel (regularly $3.99, but often on sale for $3.19 each) has the same adorable tassels with just the colors I needed. Unfortunately, I have two corner windows that are much taller and wider than the window in the picture above, so these dishtowels were not as long as the length of my windows. That's ok, however, because I love my curtains in these windows to be a little more than half the length of the window. Weird? Maybe. But, my windows have a northern and eastern exposure, so I get the glorious early morning sunshine through them. I love my curtains in that spot to reach a little more than halfway up the window allowing us the privacy we need, but low enough to fill my kitchen with sunlight! I tried just folding the top a few inches more than they had in the above window, but then the window coverings looked bulky and weird, so I went a different route.

First, as I said, my windows are wide, so I used four dishtowels per window. I sewed two together lengthwise for one side of one window and two more together for the other side of that window.  I cut off the top of the towels 23" from the bottom (tassels not included). I marked, folded, and pressed the fabric 21" from the bottom of the towel. Then I folded the hem under twice, so I had about a 1" hem and the dishtowel was 21 inches long.


I ordered some curtain clip rings and a couple of tension curtain rods.  Put them all together and whaaalaaa....


Mind you, I only have my iPhone to take photos, so inside photos are always dark, but you get the idea. One more...


Since I was on a dishtowel roll, I also made some dishtowel curtains for the nook area that I'll post about soon. Wishing you a wonderful fall weekend!